Friday, February 17, 2012

What is your weekend plan?

It is a rainy, gloomy day today and I was enjoying my well needed cup of coffee when I heard a few of my friends discussing their weekend plans. And that got me thinking about what people generally like to do on weekends in our city.

Many youngsters told me that Oberon Mall was a hot favorite. And, I must say, it does seem that way. One can find the place milling with people on any random day. The presence of a lot of major brands; and the ability of people today to casually buy from these shops without a second thought also tells us something about the changing face of Kochi today. And we find a lot of families also frequenting the mall grati?s the presence of multiplexes. The cost of watching a movie in a multiplex maybe higher but along with it comes more facilities, amenities and security. And people today are willing to shell out more for this kind of luxury. This is becoming a way of life actually.

The CCDs (café coffee day) too have their takers. There is nothing like catching up with your friend over a cup of coffee in CCD. The ambience too is very welcoming and we find the waiters there always have a ready and happy smile on their faces. And this makes you keep coming back to the CCD.
“My personal favorite is the CCD in Fort Kochi”, says Mr. Rohan John, an IT professional.

That reminds me of another hotspot – Fort Kochi -with its quaint little buildings and quiet winding roads. You can spend your time there by ambling through the streets, eyeing all the beautiful things in the shops and coming away without buying anything. And most of you would agree with me when I say that nothing can replace the sense of calm and happiness one feels while strolling on the beaches watching the magnificent sun, set , casting its reddish orange glow over the sparkling waters. And there are some others who find the churches and the Jewish synagogue the best part of Fort Kochi. Anyway, this is one place that hasn’t lost its old world charm a bit.

I got talking with Ms. Sangeetha Nair, a banker and was pleasantly surprised when she told me that the Indian Coffee House (ICH), Broadway remains her favorite place in Kochi ever. “The hot, steaming filter coffee in steel tumblers reminds me of a golden period in my life. My father and I used to go there every Saturday evening after my music classes. He used to talk to me about his childhood dreams and his aspirations about me. He is no more now; but every time I go to ICH for a coffee, I can still feel his presence there”, she says.

I guess we all have our own most loved places in Kochi and we have our own reasons for feeling so.
So be it.
Enjoy your weekends in your most favorite city, Kochi !
Adeus para agora ..

No comments:

Post a Comment