Friday, February 17, 2012

Random


Time : 12:02 AM

Appa : Sethu, out off 100 how much would you give this movie?
Me : Shut up Appa, I am sleepy.
Appa : That means you didn't understand anything right? < Hehe :D >
Me : < with rolled eyes > Ohhhhhhh.. Hmm..96 out of 100.
Appa : :O And what happened to those 4 marks?
Me : Oh ! I didn't like the fact that Mohanlal had to die in the end.

This was way back in 1998. My dad and I were returning after watching a second show – ''Summer In Bethlehem' ( second shows were quite the routine with us ). I was having the time of my life, pillion riding on my dad's scooter at the middle of the night. It was quite cold and there weren't any vehicles at all on the road.
It was a Friday and there wouldn't be school for the next two days. I was as happy as happy could be. We headed to the Pai Dosa eatery ( no other hotels would be open at that time; save for the 'thattukadas' ); and I had my favourite 'Rava Dosa' and my father his ' Onion Uthappam '. We reached home past 1.00 AM and understandably my mother was furious ; not that it actually bothered us.

Life was beautiful; back then – sans worries, sans tension. We – me, my sister and my parents were living together under the same roof.
I never thought; but I sorely miss not being able to be with them now.

I badly miss the (almost daily) library rides with my father, again on the scooter. We used to go to the Eloor Lending library and the Ernakulam Public Library alternatively; and the Chavara Library on weekends. The old,musty smell of the books lining the walls of the library and my dad selecting some of his favourite books for me – mostly classics ( which I particularly don't like ) - Charles Dickens, Shakespeare; and the lovely racy ones – Jeffrey Archer, John Grisham, Robin Cook, Arthur Hailey etc, libraries have always enticed and enthused me.
By the time my dad chooses all his books, I would have read a good 1/3rd of a book; and then I would keep it safely underneath a lot of boring books; so that the next time when I come; it would still be there untouched and I could finish it off.
< I wouldn't want the librarian to know this, though >

I also miss shopping with my mother. (For a long time now, I shop all alone or with my friends)
My mother's dressing sense is impeccable. She is credited with totally transforming my father's wardrobe; which prior to their marriage was pathetic, I hear.
On Saturdays, after her office, we meticulously visit Seematti, Kalyan Silks,Jayalakshmi and many other random shops in and around the convent junction. And finally, we mostly end up buying from Seematti.
After that we pay a visit to the Bharat Coffee House at Broadway, where we have hot, steaming filter coffee, 'pazhampori' and cutlets. < The cutlet there is awesome. Yum :) >

And my sister - I miss not being able to irritate her; I miss her bugging me to help her with her projects and assignments. I miss not being able to share my 'dairy milk' with her.
But, most of all, I miss not being able to hug her tightly and sleep.

Oh ! How I wish time hadn't flown by so fast; and I hadn't grown up.
Now, I shall give anything to be back at home with my family, as my 'Appa's and Amma's pet'.

14-Feb-2012







2 comments: