Friday, February 17, 2012

Sky is the limit

' Minu, am sorry. Our relationship has gone stale; atleast from my end. There was a time when I used to wait for your calls and messages. But somehow, somewhere down the line, the excitement and the spice seems to have vanished. I need a change; I need to move on. You need to also. Take care.'

– Tharun's words were echoing in my mind and I could feel my heart beating wildly. I looked down at my phone; the call was still not cut, and I saw Tharun's smiling face on the phone.

In a fit of anger, I threw my phone against the wall and saw it getting smashed to pieces. This just couldn't be happening. We were the best couple ever; all our friends used to say that always.

This happened exactly a year back. I remember feeling very depressed and enervated. I just didn't want to live another day.

But, time is the best healer, they say.

Life went by.

It was 3 weeks after that incident that Rony came into my life. I met him after my routine psychiatrist visit at the pharmacy; he was helping patients collect their medicines. He was an intern at the oncology ward there. He was cheerful, bubbly and seemed to be everything that I wasn't at that moment. We got talking and it wasn't long before we became good friends. Eventually I told him about my break-up that had come as a rude shock and had totally disrupted my life.

That was when he took me to the cancer ward at the hospital and introduced me to the children there who were suffering from terminal cancer. They did n't deserve this; but they definitely weren't giving up without a fight.

I saw them and realized that in fact, I had nothing at all to be upset about. God had blessed me with a beautiful,healthy life ; and I had absolutely no reason to wallow in self-pity.

I vowed to myself that day, come what may, I would get over this and would lead a happy, successful life making my parents proud.

I decided to complete my engineering which I had discontinued. I studied well and passed out with flying colors. At Rony's insistence, I joined for and completed the Master's programme in my chosen line of studies – aeronautics.

It was on the 2nd day of my job at the British Airways, London, that I received a call from Rony. He told me that he himself had been battling cancer for the last 6years; but now, the evil white cells had taken control and he didn't have long to live.

Needless to say, I was devastated and took a long time to recover.

Today, Rony is physically not there with me; but I always feel his cheerful latency all around me.

As I soar the skies as the pilot of my flight; I have only him to thank as he taught me, literally, that, 'the sky is the limit'.

No comments:

Post a Comment