Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A BUS JOURNEY ORDEAL

Papa Bug : Slurp ! Slurp !
Mama Bug : It definitely is tasty.
Beti Bug : Mama, my turn now. Please please.
Beta Bug : Ouch !Papa, you are hurting my leg. Move over fast.

Well, this must be the conversation shared by a bug family, while colonies of them were feasting on me.

Let me start right from the beginning. After a tiring day, roaming about the streets of Bengaluru with my friends, I got into Kallada Travels' multi-axle (whatever that means) A/C semi-sleeper Volvo bus with hopes of catching some well-needed shut-eye curled under my warm blanket, after maybe watching a latest Malayalam movie.
The bus started. And all was well up till this point.

I stretched my seat to the maximum extent possible; and struggled to get comfortable. I had just about settled in, when the bus driver (let us give him a name; say, Mr.B ) stepped on the brakes a bit too forcefully, and I sailed right out of my chair and almost fell off.

That was when I realized that, when I stretched my seat; my feet couldn't touch the bottom and hence they couldn't shield me from the braking whims of Mr.B. I decided to sleep in a position perpendicular to the seat-bottom. But let me tell you, it is quite difficult and inconvenient.

Somehow, I managed to doze off. I had just about embarked on a trip to Italy in my dreams; when I was rudely woken up by the conductor's grating voice, screaming “ Bathroomil pokandavarkku ivide venamengil erangaam, ini Kochiyile adutha stop ollu”(Those who want to attend the call of nature may do so now, the next stop would be only at Kochi).

I checked my watch. It was 1:22 AM.
A string of the choicest expletives cruised through my mind; but I decided to keep my lips sealed for my own good. By the time I had located my pair of spectacles from around me; and had hobbled out of my seat taking care not to waken the sleeping passenger next to me (lucky soul), the bus had started moving.

Things definitely were not going my way.
I decided to concentrate on the art of sleeping, and prayed the bus would reach Kochi safely and quickly. I found myself being woken up at constantt intervals; thanks to the cluttered, pot-holed roads; that seem to burgeon as we approach Kerala.

Finally, at around 5:00 AM; I saw the first rays of the sun beaming across from amidst the mean,grey clouds. I couldn't help, but smile, at the beauty of Mother Nature. This is something that has never failed to amaze me.
I put on my spectacles, brushed my hair and tidied myself to the extent possible and sat with my eyes glued to the window.

That was about when I started feeling slightly uncomfortable and itchy. And before long, my whole body was tingling.
A girl is expected to look pleasing at all times in our society; and hence I forced my hands to the side and tried to picturise myself on an itchy ride in DisneyLand.
Well, mind power definitely wasn't working and I just wanted to run out of the bus to the safety of my house.

I suffered in agony for about 2 hours; when, finally I saw the welcoming 'Vytila' (my stop) sign board. I literally jumped off the bus and hopped into the closest auto-rickshaw and motioned him to take me home as quickly as he possibly could.(I even agreed to pay him double the fare. You should have seen his face lighting up. )

I got home and was shocked (still am ) to see ugly,red blotches all over my body. The bugs ('mootta' in Malayalam) had done their doing. They had literally gorged and feasted on my body.

And I was left feeling all prickly, tingly and itchy.


PS : - Good Night
Sleep Tight
But don't ever let the BED BUGS bite . :)

11 comments:

  1. Nice read.

    You could have avoided the you at the end. Ending with bite is more rhyming.. (just my suggestion)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done..
    Tnx a lot reading thru' my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done..
    Tnx a lot for reading thru' my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chechi very good read :) keep gng.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehehe!! did the blotches go or are they just spreading throughout your body, making u look like a juicy, red tomato in a designer salwaar?? just wondering...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh ! hw sweet of yu to enquire..infact I look like more like an orange; than a tomato.

      Delete
    2. really? u hv orange blood?? i did not know...hmm..

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how you can describe those simple (well, in this case it has been somewhat unpleasant too) things in your life in such a special way. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete