Monday, April 23, 2012

Feeling battered? Try the library


Am I as independent as I really think I am?

I earn my own money; get my things done all by myself; am not majorly scared to travel alone after 7 PM in the dark, pot-hole filled roads of Kochi.

But how about if a dear friend breaks your trust; and lets out your deepest secret as if it had no consequence? The fact that you were the one who told him in the first place causes you to be blamed; but if your friend isn’t someone you trust; then he wouldn’t be your friend A vicious circle, indeed.And then another dear friend; who claims to be your closest friend chooses to ignore all your calls and messages citing silly reasons.And yet again; an old friend majorly upsets you by saying and doing all the wrong things at the wrong time.

What if all these things manage to happen to you on the very same day?
A very hot, sultry day.

Oh Yes! That would just about sum up my lovely, little day (pun intended).

The feeling of wanting the earth to open up and swallow you; or just wanting to crawl out of your skin; or just wanting to hail the nearby space shuttle and zoom off to Mars; yeah; these would be some of the thoughts flitting through my mind now.

I choose to wallow in my pity and decide on the library as fitting place. I am once again thankful to the Lord who has invented this wonderful heaven right here on earth.The library is by far the safest place if you ask me. The books make me feel sheltered and shielded.

They listen to me; never give up on me; and give advice only when I ask them. They can be what I want them to be; they can amuse me, inspire me, sadden me, thrill me, and motivate me. There are books in bright colors, some huge, some small, some new, some old and tattered; don’t remind you of some of your own friends?

Try the library. Just once. And tell me whether you agree or not.

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree to this. When you need moments of solitude, there is no better place to go than to a library where the mandatory silence is like a soothing balm.

    ReplyDelete